Atrovent is a bronchodilator. Atrovent helps open up the airways in your lungs to make it easier to breathe. Atrovent is prescribed to prevent bronchospasm of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Do not use Atrovent alone for an acute attack of bronchospasm.
Atrovent is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- Bladder problems or difficulty passing urine;
- Heart disease or irregular heartbeat;
- Prostate trouble;
- An unusual or allergic reaction to Atrovent, atropine, bromides, soya protein, peanut oil, soybeans or peanuts, other drugs, foods, dyes, or preservatives;
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant;
Do not take Atrovent with any of the following drugs:
- Atropine, hyoscyamine, and related medications;
- Drugs for motion sickness or dizziness;
- Drugs for overactive bladder;
- Some drugs for colds;
- Some drugs for stomach problems;
Atrovent side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue;
- Chest pain or fast heartbeat;
- Difficulty breathing or wheezing that increases or does not go away;
- Dizziness or fainting spell;
- Eye pain or change in vision;
- Low blood pressure;
- Dry eyes, mouth or nose;
- Stomach upset;
- Trouble passing urine;
- Unusual taste or metallic taste in your mouth;
AEROSOL OR SOLUTION
The usual starting dose is 2 inhalations, 4 times per day. Additional inhalations may be taken, but the total should not exceed 12 in 24 hours. Not for use in children under 12.
NASAL SPRAY 0.03%
The usual dose is 2 sprays in each nostril 2 or 3 times a day. Not for use in children under 6.
NASAL SPRAY 0.06%
Runny Nose due to Colds
The usual adult dose is 2 sprays in each nostril 3 or 4 times a day. The recommended dose for children age 5 to 11 is 2 sprays in each nostril 3 times a day. Do not use for more than 4 days and do not give it to children under 5.
Runny Nose due to Hay Fever
The usual dose for adults and children 5 and over is 2 sprays in each nostril 4 times a day. Can be prescribed safely for hay fever for up to 3 weeks.