Betagan is prescribed to treat glaucoma and high pressure in the eyes.
Betagan belongs to a class of drugs known as beta-blockers that reduces the pressure inside the eye.
Betagan eyedrops are given to treat chronic open-angle glaucoma (increased pressure inside the eye). This medication is in a class called beta blockers. It works by lowering pressure within the eyeball.
Betagan is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- Asthma or chronic lung disease;
- Diabetes, overactive thyroid;
- Heart disease (high blood pressure, heart failure, heart block);
- Very slow heart rate;
Do not take Betagan with any of the following drugs:
- Atenolol (Tenormin);
- Metaprolol (Lopressor);
- Propranolol (Inderal);
Betagan side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Allergic reactions (such as difficulty in breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, tongue, face, or hives);
- Asthma attack (shortness of breath, wheezing);
- Burning or stinging;
- Congestive heart failure (shortness of breath, chest pain, anxiety);
- Irregular heartbeat, slow heartbeat, or low blood pressure;
Side effects from Betagan cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor. Only your doctor can determine whether it is safe for you to continue using this medication. You may feel a momentary burning and stinging when you place the drops in your eyes. More rarely, you may develop an eye inflammation.
Beta blockers may cause muscle weakness; weakened muscles around the eyes may cause double vision or drooping eyelids.
Reported Betagan overdose symptoms are:
- Difficulty in breathing;
- Heart attack;
- Shortness of breath;
- Slow heart rate;
Other Brand Names
In some countries Betagan may also be known as:
The recommended starting dose is 1 or 2 drops of Betagan 0.5% in the affected eye(s) once a day.
The typical dose of Betagan 0.25% is 1 or 2 drops twice daily.
For more severe glaucoma, your doctor may have you use Betagan 0.5% twice a day.