Florinef can lead to collapse and death if the body is put under stress. Low blood levels of corticosteroids must be treated with replacement therapy to allow the body to function normally.
Florinef is prescribed in combination with hydrocortisone tablets for complete replacement therapy.
Florinef is prescribed to replace the natural steroid hormone cortisol.
Florinef is prescribed to treat a disorder called salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome. In this syndrome there is abnormal production of natural steroid hormones by the adrenal glands and as a result, decreased production of natural aldosterone.
Florinef is involved in regulating the salt and fluid balance in the body. If too little aldosterone is produced, this can cause too much salt to be lost in the urine.
Florinef tablets contain the active fludrocortisone, which is a type of drug known as a corticosteroid.
Corticosteroid drugs are derivatives of the corticosteroid hormones cortisol and aldosterone that are produced naturally by the adrenal glands.
Corticosteroids allow us to respond to stress by increasing the rate and force of the heartbeat, increasing blood supply to essential tissues, increasing the body's supply of energy by raising blood sugar and by several other effects on body systems.
Corticosteroids have many important functions on every organ system.
Fludrocortisone is prescribed as replacement therapy. It's action in the body is most similar to the natural steroid hormone aldosterone.
If the body's natural level of steroid hormones is too low because the adrenal glands are not producing enough hormones, this can cause various symptoms, such as dizziness, fatigue, weakness, gut symptoms, depression and joint and muscle pain.
Since Florinef is similar to aldosterone, it can be prescribed to treat this condition. It causes the kidneys to retain fluid and salt in the body.
Steroid replacement treatment is almost always lifelong.
Stress includes changes in temperature, pain, fear, anxiety and illness.
They affect the strength of heart muscle and its response to natural chemicals affecting heart rate.
They affect the water and salt balance in the body and enable the body to cope with stress.
They are often simply called steroids, but it should be noted that they are very different from another group of steroids, called anabolic steroids, which have gained notoriety because of their abuse by some athletes and body builders.
This can be hazardous if the body is not equipped to cope due to low levels of corticosteroids.
Florinef is prescribed for:
- Hormonal disorder resulting from abnormal steroid production by the adrenal glands and associated with loss of salt in the urine;
- Inadequate production of natural steroid hormones by the adrenal glands;
Florinef side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Weight gain;
- Thinning of skin and stretch marks;
- Swelling due to fluid retention;
- Sodium and water retention;
- Raised pressure in the eye;
- Raised blood sugar level;
- Partial loss of vision due to opacity in the lens of the eye;
- Muscle weakness;
- Low blood potassium level;
- Increased sweating;
- Increased susceptibility to infection;
- Increased pressure in the skull;
- Increased hair growth;
- Impaired wound healing;
- High blood pressure;
- Disturbances of the gut such as indigestion, distention of the abdomen and ulceration;
- Difficulty in sleeping;
- Decreased bone density and increased risk of fractures of the bones;
- Changes to your menstrual cycle;