Minocin is an antibiotic prescribed to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections including acne.
Minocin is a form of the antibiotic tetracycline.
It is given to help treat many different kinds of infection, including:
- Urinary Tract Infections Rectal Infections And Infections Of The Cervix Caused By Certain Microbes;
- Syphilis (When Penicillin Cannot Be Given);
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever;
- Respiratory Infections Such As Pneumonia;
- Gonorrhea (When Penicillin Cannot Be Given);
- Amebic Dysentery;
Minocin may cause:
- Headache or vomiting;
- Stomach upset;
If these symptoms persist or worsen, notify your doctor. Minocin increases sensitivity
to sunlight. Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen if needed.
Very unlikely but report:
- Mental changes;
- Sore throat;
- Stomach pain;
- Vision changes;
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin;
In those cases where this drug must be prescribed for extended periods, blue-gray
skin discoloration may occur. In the unlikely event you have an allergic
reaction to this drug, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- Severe dizziness;
- Trouble breathing;
Minocin side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Vaginal Inflammation;
- Swollen Mouth And Throat;
- Swollen Lymph Nodes;
- Swelling Of Face And Neck;
- Shortness Of Breath;
- Severe Allergic Reactions;
- Sensitivity To Light;
- Ringing In The Ears;
- Peeling Skin;
- Muscle Pain;
- Loss Of Appetite;
- Liver Disorders;
- Kidney Disorders;
- Joint Stiffness Or Swelling;
- Inflamed Mouth Or Tongue;
- Heart Inflammation;
- Discolored Skin Or Tooth Enamel;
- Difficulty Swallowing;
- Blood Disorders;
- Abdominal Cramping;
The usual dosage of Minocin is 200 mg to start with, followed by 100 mg every 12 hours. If you need to take more frequent doses, your doctor may prescribe two or four 50-mg capsules initially, and then one 50-mg capsule 4 times daily.
The dosage and the length of time you take the drug can vary according to your condition and the specific infection.
CHILDREN ABOVE 8 YEARS OF AGE
The usual dosage of Minocin is 4 mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight to start, followed by 2 mg per 2.2 pounds every 12 hours, up to the usual adult dose.