Olmesartan works by preventing the action of a hormone called angiotensin-II.
Angiotensin-II causes blood vessels to narrow and leads to production of another hormone called aldosterone which increases the amount of fluid in the blood.
By preventing the action of angiotensin-II, Olmesartan widens blood vessels and reduces fluid in the blood, lowering the blood pressure.
Olmesartan is prescribed to treat high blood pressure.
Olmesartan is prescribed in combination with other drugs prescribed to reduce blood pressure, such as amlodipine or hydrochlorothiazide.
Olmesartan is in a class of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists.
Olmesartan is prescribed alone or in combination with other drugs to treat high blood pressure.
Olmesartan works by blocking the action of certain chemicals that tighten the blood vessels, so blood flows more smoothly.
Olmesartan is prescribed for the treatment of hypertension.
Olmesartan is prescribed to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).
Olmesartan is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you are on a special diet, such as a low-salt diet;
- Kidney or liver disease;
- An unusual or allergic reaction to Olmesartan, other drugs, foods, dyes, or preservatives;
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant;
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Olmesartan or any other medications.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what script and nonscript medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention diuretics ('water pills'). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had heart failure kidney disease or angioedema, a condition that causes difficulty swallowing or breathing and painful swelling of the the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Do not take Olmesartan with any of the following drugs:
- Blood pressure drugs;
- Diuretics, especially triamterene, spironolactone or amiloride;
- Potassium salts or potassium supplements;
Olmesartan side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Confusion, dizziness, light headedness or fainting spells;
- Decreased amount of urine passed;
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing, hoarseness, or tightening of the throat;
- Fast or irregular heart beat, palpitations, or chest pain;
- Skin rash, itching;
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, hands, or feet;
- Decreased sexual function or desire;
- Nasal congestion or stuffiness;
- Nausea or stomach pain;
- Sore or cramping muscles;
- Blurred vision;
- Upset stomach;
- Slow or irregular heartbeat;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Muscle pain or cramps;
- Low blood pressure;
- Excessive thirst;
- Dry mouth;
Other Brand Names: